In 1867 it is recorded in our community magazine that a J Bryan who lived in Newport was sent 6 copies of ‘The Declaration’, a booklet that sets out fundamental Christadelphian bible beliefs. These beliefs are based on the teachings of the 1st century Christian church, found in the New Testament.

In 1875, it is recorded that two Christadelphian ladies lived in Newport and later that year another lady was baptised after accepting the Gospel Message. The following years saw a number of Christadelphians from all over England and Wales, move into the Newport area.

In 1885 the first evidences of an ecclesia being formed in Newport can be found. The same year the first baptisms are recorded. Mr. Holder, Mr. Lander and Mr Nokes all accepted the call of the Gospel message and were baptised into the saving name of Jesus Christ.

Despite the strong opposition of the established churches in Newport, the Christadelphian community continued to grow as the 1st century Christian gospel message was spoken about publicly, by fellow Christadelphians who visited Newport from Cardiff, Swansea, Birmingham and the English borders.

Local fame was also achieved this year, with the arrest and detention of a Mr. Thomas, who preached in Commercial Street and was apprehended because a disturbance was caused. The local paper reported that he appeared the next day before the magistrate who asked what he had said. “That a man does not have an immortal soul,” replied the constable who gave evidence. Mr. Thomas was released by a sympathetic magistrate. This caused so much interest that he became a local celebrity.

The Corn Exchange became the meeting place for the Newport Christadelphians in 1886. In 1887 the Newport Ecclesia had 27 baptised members. A purpose built Hall was constructed in 1980 in Caerleon Road, much of the work being done by the ecclesial members. This is where our activities are centred today.

1885 – 1886: Temperance Hall.

1886 – 1888: Corn Exchange.

1888 – 1890: 1 Caxton Place.

1890 – 1904: 1, Albert Hall Chambers, Stow Hill.

1904 – 1935: Christadelphian Hall, Star Buildings, 144 Commercial Street.

1906 – 1924: Clarence Hall, Rodney Road (opposite Technical Institute).

1935 – 1978: Purchased the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Station Street.

1978 – 1980: Dolman Theatre, Green Room, Kingsway

1980 – 2013: Christadelphian Hall, Caerleon Road

We have no paid ministry and our public meetings and public events are organised by members of our community. Consequently we do not ask for money from the public to pay for the running and maintenance of our ecclesia. However it is customary to make available the opportunity for our visitors to make voluntary contributions to the charities we run and support.

Today we are a community of around 70 baptised members aged from 18 to 90 plus, with a Sunday school for children 5 to 14 years old and a study class for young people 15 and over.

Every Sunday, the Good News of the Kingdom of God is preached. Every Wednesday, we meet to read and study the Bible. These meetings are open to anyone who has an interest in discovering Gods plan for this planet, and how you can become involved and secure a place in his kingdom when it is set up on earth.

* Providing there are no exceptional circumstances, such as a heavy snowfall.

Uniquely, the Christadelphians have always advertised the subject of the talks, so that anyone interested will know what aspect of the Bible message the talk will be about. There is always a booklet available to support and provide additional information about these Bible topics; they are readily available and free of charge.

Martin Lunn
Member of the Christadelphians in Newport
March 2013.